Want to know if the messaging app or program you’re using is truly secure? The EFF recently rated the security of 39 different apps/services/programs based on these 7 categories:
1. Encrypted in transit?
2. Encrypted so the provider can’t read it?
3. Can you verify contacts’ identities?
4. Are past comms secure if your keys are stolen?
5. Is the code open to independent review?
6. Is security design properly documented?
7. Has the code been audited?
Go here to see the results. The EFF says they plan to do closer examinations in the future.